Thursday, April 30, 2009

Amaryllis Amaryllis How Does Your Garden Grow? "Organically of Course!"

Her First Gardens

Her imagination would take her to faraway places where ancient gardens grew, outside castles in England or country farms around the world. She had no idea, when she began, about soil and water, or how to plan. She just got out there into the garden. Her soil was sandy, it had little nutrients; but she was more concerned with the design of her rows. She made the most unusual trenches that swirled in river-like forms and she imagined this is how a garden is planted. She placed the seeds carefully, as instructed on the package, one in each finger hole, about an inch apart, with a half-inch of dirt on top. For days she misted the squiggly rows until, seven days later, amidst the bare dirt, came little leaf pairs emerging from the earth. Each morning she?d look out to see how they were doing and sure enough, they grew into tall skinny zinnias. When they finally bloomed she had to laugh because even in the unhealthy soil they still presented many shades from salmon pink to magenta, bobbing on heavy heads almost falling over.

Cymbidiums My cymbidiums, oncidiums and phaleonopsis all grow in cinder and hapu fern like the Japanese ladies do.

The epiphytes with aerial roots grow so easily. They like the elevation up country I know. I learned that in a book about how certain orchids grow.

But mostly I?ve learned from others and by trying everything. I keep them evenly moist but never overwater!

My name is Marilyn Jansen.

I live on the island of Maui pursuing life as a writer and budding artist. I worked as a registered nurse for 14 years until I began to follow my true dream of expressing myself creatively through drawing, painting, writing, designing books, creating jewelry, and fashion designs and developing a line of food products to go with my cookbook. It is so fulfilling to pursue a dream with a passion!

I love to do Hawaiian Quilting, & Hand-painting on t-shirts. I plan to create DVDs of a craft series to go with small books. I have painted on tees for over 25 years and have taught teens and adults how to paint. They love it! It is fun and healing for the body, mind, soul & spirit. When creativity flows we feel alive, energized by the excitement overflowing from us. We also experience relaxation because we let ourselves go! It is my goal to get young people interested in gardening & cooking & sewing so they can develop passions of their own. Life is great when we slow down and enjoy the simple things and find beauty in everyday life. http://www.amaryllisofhawaii.com

No comments: